If you are not in the market for efficient appliances and already have the main ways to reduce water use covered (quick showers, not letting the water run, and fixing leaks) you are not off the hook. Mostly by exploring the site Water Use It Wisely we complied next steps in reducing water use that require minimal time or effort.
Here are 10 ways to save water that you may not have thought about yet:
- Save the water from washing fruit and use it to water plants
- Cook food in as little water as possible. Also helps keep in the nutrients
- Use the garbage disposal sparingly, compost instead. Addresses food waste too
- Washing clothes in cold water saves water and helps clothes last longer
- If you need to wait for water to heat up save the water and use it to water plants
- Re-wear clothes and save your towels longer to cut down on laundry
- Dishwashers use less water than washing by hand
- If you have a pet, wash them outdoors on an area that needs to be watered
- Use native plants for landscaping
- Try to use only one water-glass to drink out of each day
How many new ways are you going to reduce your water use?