To download the guide, click here: Sustainability Made Simple Guide
Sustainability Made Simple: Small Changes for Big Impact
Reflection & Discussion Guide
Thank you for your interest and support for Sustainability Made Simple and learning more about sustainability! A key aspect of the book and sustainability more broadly is recognizing the value of honest, open discussion about environmental issues and that solutions start with us. There are so many opportunities to learn more and improve our impact. Adopting sustainable habits can be even more inspiring and enjoyable with others.
Below is a set of prompts we recommend thinking about and incorporating into your formal or informal book club. As you read through the book, we also recommend keeping in mind or making note of surprising or interesting facts, which you can also share with your family and friends. We would also like to emphasize that our approach to sustainability is not about going completely “green” overnight. Sustainability is a dynamic learning process we are still improving and building on. We’re all in this together!
Part 1: An Introduction to Sustainability
- What are some of the reasons you’re interested in incorporating sustainability into your life?
- What does a sustainable society look like to you?
- What do you think are the main environmental issues in your area?
- What do you think are the root causes of these issues?
- Do any of these issues have a global as well as local impact?
- Have you come across any specific cases of a government, company, or individual doing something detrimental to the environment? What are they?
- What organizations or initiatives are you familiar with that are helping us move towards a sustainable society?
- In your opinion, what are the biggest opportunities for improvement in the shift towards sustainability?
- What are some of the barriers you face when thinking about how to be more sustainable? How do you plan to overcome these barriers?
- Are there any guides or certifications that you use to help you in choosing which products to buy? If so, which ones?
Part 2: Small Changes Towards Sustainability
- Are there any tips you read about that you already practice and are proud of?
- Do you have any sustainable habits that were not mentioned in the book? What are the environmental issues that they address?
- What are at least three tips that you would like to work on in the future?
- Why do you choose these tips and how do you plan on turning them into lifelong habits?